What is Corneal Topography?
Topography literally means the study of the forms and features of land distribution. A corneal Topography is one in which we map the shape of the cornea (the front , transparent structure of the eye) to look for irregularities or abnormalities in its surface.
Who Needs a Corneal Topography?
A Corneal Topography is done to check for abnormal shape of the cornea. Corneal shape needs to be checked in the following situations
- Before doing LASIK
It is most essential to do a corneal topography for Pre LASIK patients in order to check abnormal shape since LASIK will modify the shape of the cornea with the laser.
- Before opting for Multifocal Cataract Surgery– this scan provides invaluable information as to whether the patient is fit for Multifocal Intraocular lenses in Cataract surgery.
- Frequently changing spectacle power and High cylindrical power – where we want to rule out the presence of a corneal disorder called Keratoconus.
- After a Corneal Transplant
- Corneal scars post infections
- Before contact lens trial
What Topography machine do we have at Jehan Eye Clinic?
Jehan Eye Clinic is equipped with the Tomey TMS 4N Topography system from Japan. Known for its resolution, accuracy and corneal coverage of over 60,000 data points on the cornea, this is additionally equipped with Fourier analysis and Keratoconus screening software.
What is the procedure for doing a Topography scan ?
This is a non invasive scan which takes place in the consultation room of the Doctor and taking the images lasts a few minutes only.